License to practice

Doctors educated within the EU/EEA or Switzerland

The Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) is the organisation that registers doctors to practice medicine in Sweden. Socialstyrelsen also provides information on language training and education in medical legislation etc. If you want to apply for a Swedish licence to practice medicine follow the instructions on this page

The  EU- Directive 2005/36/EC aims to facilitate the free movement of doctors, among other professions. Among the EU/EEA states, the Directive provides for the mutual recognition of medical qualifications on basic training level as well as specialty level without the special conditions of additional training or special language skills.

Certificate of specialist qualification

If you have a certificate of specialist qualification from another EU/EEA country you need to apply for recognition of specialist qualifications.

Certificates of specialist qualifications from other EU/EEA country will automatically become recognized by Socialstyrelsen provided that: 

  1. The EU/EEA country where the evidence of specialist qualification was issued, has reported the specialty at issue to Annex V of Directive 2005/36/EC.  
  2. Sweden has reported the specialty at issue to Annex V of Directive 2005/36/EC.  
Senast uppdaterad 2016-04-18
Swedish Medical Association:

Phone: +46 8 790 33 00