SYLF organises a vast majority of junior doctors in Sweden, 2011 approximately 8.500 individuals – doctors completing their internship and specialist training (residency) – in 27 local branches throughout the country. SYLF collaborates in the Nordic Council for Junior Doctors. The annual General Assembly is the highest decision-making body of SYLF. Between the general assemblies SYLF is lead by a central board consisting of seven members. The president is M.D. Lena Ekelius.
Main issues for SYLF include high quality in postgraduate medical training, good terms of employment and working conditions (e.g. wages, working hours, working environment, parental leave) for junior doctors in clinical work as well as for junior doctors involved in research in Sweden. SYLF also works for a diversity of employers in the Swedish health care sector. On the national level SYLF is represented in the Central Board of the SMA and in its delegations and committees.
As a member of SYLF you are also a member of the SMA. The membership includes:
• Advice and support in relation to your working conditions (wage, contract, working hours and pensions) and work environment.
• Legal assistance on disciplinary matters and labour law.
• Peer support for doctors undergoing a personal crisis.
• Läkartidningen (The official journal of the Swedish Medical Association, published weekly.)
• Moderna Läkare - Modern Doctors - SYLF’s magazine for junior doctors published four times yearly.
The monthly cost for membership is approximately 300-400 SEK (€ 30-40), depending on which County Council you work in. Apply for membership on the internet or contact us for more information.
As an appointed representative of SYLF you will become part of national and local network of junior doctors and you will obtain a good knowledge of laws and collective agreements in force on the Swedish labour market.
Read more about the Swedish Medical Association.